Sunday 9 August 2009

I made a doll's skirt!


How excited am I!? I managed to make a doll's skirt, using a tutorial from my old 1972 ladybird sewing book.

The book is inscribed from Steven Bird; and he gave it to me for my 6th Birthday. Who knew that 31 years later I would be using that book to make one of my daughter's babys a skirt!

The material looks old and faded; that's because it is. This material once belonged to a short summer dress. DD loved that dress and when she first put it on at the age of 18 months, it was below her knees.

Finally, at the beginning of this year, when it barely reached her waist and she couldn't get her arms through the tiny armholes (she's now 8 years old!) I convinced her to part with it. Instead of taking it to the textiles bank I decided to start a fabric stash. I've heard all about how a fabric stash can get very addictive and now I think I know why.

Anyway, the baby has a new skirt and now my daughter wants me to teach her how to make one so that ALL her baby's can have new skirts.

We may be gone some time..

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I've only just found this blog, it's brilliant and I love the things you are making!! Six months ago, I wasn't sewing at all, bar the odd pair of curtains when I had to, but I'm always making something these days, in fact, I feel very anxious if I haven't made anything for a day or so. I am making lots of mistakes, but lots of triumphs too and thoroughly enjoying the whole journey. It's getting to the point where I am thinking about what I can make for presents, instead of what I can buy, which has to be a good thing. I know it's really good for me!! I'm going to love reading your blog and seeing what you are making!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pippa,
    Just picked up your comment - I haven't yet figured out how to get notification of comments to my email yet ...
    So a belated welcome and thanks for sharing your story; it's inspiring me that I might get bitten by the bug of crafting (actually I think I might be there already!)

    ReplyDelete